Caroline is currently pursuing a PhD at the Université de Montréal. The excellence of her thesis, focussing on copyright and artificial intelligence, has been recognized on several occasions over the years.
- LL.M, Intellectual Property and Information Technology, Université de Montréal (2008)
- LL.B, Université de Montréal (2005)
- “Copyright Master Class”, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and McGill University (2014)
- “Managing Trade-mark Disputes”, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and McGill University (2012)
- “Understanding Trade-marks”, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and McGill University (2007)
Mtre Caroline Jonnaert has an expertise in intellectual property and marketing law. As a trademark agent, she assists her clients in the management of their trademark portfolios by advising them on matters regarding adoption strategies, registration and trademark exploitation. She is also able to guide her clients with their copyright matters due to her intellectual property practice.
Her marketing law practice has allowed her to support her clients with their promotional initiatives, particularly in the areas of privacy law, children’s advertising, competition law and the Charter of the French Language. Caroline also provides guidance on matters regarding promotional contests as well as the revision on packaging and labelling in the pharmaceutical field.
Before joining Delegatus, Caroline was a Senior Legal Counsel for Stingray, a leading music, media, and technology company.
Experience in private practice
Caroline began her career at BCF and Lussier & Khouzam before joining LJT Lawyers, a pioneer in marketing law.
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing intellectual property agreements, including trademark and copyright assignment and licensing agreements, as well as musical and audiovisual content acquisition licences.
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing marketing agreements, including sponsorship, partnership and spokesperson agreements.
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing commercial agreements, including service and confidentiality agreements.
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing agreements specific to the entertainment industry, including production agreements.
- Reviewing chains of title in the entertainment industry.
- Managing and supervising the audit of an international company’s compliance with privacy requirements.
- Advising advertising agencies and advertisers (including pharmaceutical companies), on marketing law issues related to the Charter of the French Language, children’s advertising and promotional contests.
- Providing trademark advice, on issues concerning the adoption, registration and exploitation.
- Managing the trademark portfolio of an international company.
- Providing copyright advice regarding permissions and parody.
Community involvement and professional affiliations
- Governor of the Quebec Bar Foundation since 2019
- Member of the board of directors for the «Association des juristes pour l’avancement de la vie artistique (AJAVA)» from 2012 to 2020 (chair from 2017 to 2020)
- Member of the executive committee of the information, telecommunications and intellectual property section of the Canadian Bar Association since 2016 (chair since 2018)
- Member of the Trademark Professionals’ Association
Awards and distinctions
- Research scholarship in artificial intelligence (2019)
- Assistance program for the advancement of graduate students’ knowledge scholarship (2019)
- Intellectual property research institute scholarship (2018)
- Merit scholarship (2018)
- ATLAS Forum scholarship (2018)
- Merit scholarship (2009)
- Graduate studies mobility scholarship of the Quebec Ministry of Education, Recreation and
Conferences and publications
Caroline has been giving numerous conferences on intellectual property and marketing law. Several articles pertaining to these fields have been published by her since starting her career and they have since been cited by the Quebec Court of Appeal and in her peers’ reference books.
She has been active in academics and has taught the copyright course on music at the Université de Montréal, in addition to participating in several research activities.