- LL.B., University of Montréal, Desjardins Lapointe Prize (Surety Law) | 2005
- DESS, International Trade Law, University Montpellier 1 (France) - DJCE Certificate – Intellectual Property Law | 2002
- LL.M. International Law, Laval University | 2001
- Master in Private Law, with honors, University of Franche-Comte (France) | 2000
- Undergraduate Diploma in Law, University Robert Schuman (France), Dalloz Prize (outstanding academic achievement: top 3% of cohort) | 1998
David is passionate about new technologies, industrial and infrastructure projects and the financing transactions that make them possible. He relies on a diverse expertise acquired within top-tier law firms and in-house as a C-level executive to support entrepreneurs, investors, boards of directors and legal departments on a broad range of matters.
David worked at Stikeman Elliott with a particular focus on insolvency, financing and infrastructure projects, and in the financial services group of McCarthy Tétrault where he acted for lenders and borrowers in various financing transactions, including public-private partnerships as well as project/syndicated/cross-border/acquisition financing, asset-based lending and debt restructuring.
Since 2013, David has been managing the legal affairs and corporate secretariat of IFFCO Canada, a joint venture sponsored by Canadian and Indian shareholders to design, build and operate a US$1.5 billion petrochemical plant. In parallel, he represented several clients from diverse industries in the context of commercial transactions, private equity investments, partnership and joint venture creations, shareholders’ negotiations and corporate restructurings.
Between 2013 and 2016, David worked as Vice President Legal and Strategic Affairs and Corporate Secretary for IFFCO Canada, entrusted with the negotiation of all material agreements for the engineering, procurement, construction and financing of that international joint venture’s US$1.5 billion project to build a nitrogen fertilizer plant. In that capacity, he also managed the corporation’s routine legal requirements and external legal services, developed the corporation’s secretariat, and was entrusted with all corporate matters such as governance, board meetings and shareholders’ assemblies, reporting and compliance. He negotiated the creation in 2017 of a limited partnership with a new investor for a revised project and has remained IFFCO Canada’s Corporate Secretary since then.
Experience in private practice
David has extensive private practice experience: at Stikeman Elliott, focusing on insolvency, financing and infrastructure projects, and at McCarthy Tétrault in the financial services group, where he acted for lenders and borrowers in diverse financing transactions. More recently, he represented start-ups, international corporations and investors involved in engineering, green industrial projects, and new technologies. He started his career in France providing business management and tax consulting services to health professionals at firm D6D.
- Blog articles: seekingalpha.com (investment community), slaw.ca (legal matters), wobiz.org
- Industrial Projects: Three Milestones on the Road to Bankability, Association of Corporate Counsel | June 2017
- La transposition de la loi type dans l'ordre juridique canadien, Service de la Formation Continue du Barreau du Québec, Volume 321 | 2010
- Reorganization: a commercial concept juridicially defined, Canadian Bar Review | November 2009
- Vente, donation et hypothèque d’actions, Juriclasseur, LexisNexis | Updated annually since 2009
- Les mutations de l'obligation, Juriclasseur, LexisNexis | Updated annually since 2008
- De l'évaluation des dommages suivant la résiliation des contrats de service et les contraventions à la Loi sur la concurrence, co-authored with Honourable Madam Justice Suzanne Côté, of the Supreme Court of Canada, Service de la formation continue du Barreau du Québec, Volume 255 | 2006