I take ownership of my clients' projects, and practice law to bring them across the finish line.
A music lover and nature enthusiast, I like to hike the hills and find them alive with new sounds of music.
Lawyer entrepreneur at Delegatus since
French, English, Japanese, Spanish
- LL.B., University of Montréal | 2005 - Desjardins Lapointe Prize (Surety Law)
- DESS - International Trade Law, University Montpellier 1 (France) | 2002 - DJCE Certificate – Intellectual Property Law
- LL.M. International Law, Laval University | 2001
- Master in Private Law, University of Franche-Comte (France) | 2000 - Obtained with honors
- Undergraduate Diploma in Law, University Robert Schuman (France) | 1998 - Dalloz Prize (outstanding academic achievement: top 3% of cohort)
David is passionate about new technologies, industrial and infrastructure projects and the financing transactions that make them possible. He relies on a diverse expertise acquired within top-tier law firms and in-house as a C-level executive to support entrepreneurs, investors, boards of directors and legal departments on a broad range of matters.
Between 2013 and 2016, David worked as Vice President Legal and Strategic Affairs and Corporate Secretary for IFFCO Canada, entrusted with the negotiation of all material agreements for the engineering, procurement, construction and financing of that international joint venture’s US$1.5 billion project to build a nitrogen fertilizer plant. In that capacity, he also managed the corporation’s routine legal requirements and external legal services, developed the corporation’s secretariat, and was entrusted with all corporate matters such as governance, board meetings and shareholders’ assemblies, reporting and compliance. He negotiated the creation in 2017 of a limited partnership with a new investor for a revised project and has remained IFFCO Canada’s Corporate Secretary since then.
David worked at Stikeman Elliott with a particular focus on insolvency, financing and infrastructure projects, and in the financial services group of McCarthy Tétrault where he acted for lenders and borrowers in various financing transactions, including public-private partnerships as well as project/syndicated/cross-border/acquisition financing, asset-based lending and debt restructuring. More recently, he represented start-ups, international corporations and investors involved in engineering, green industrial projects, and new technologies. He started his private practice career in France providing business management and tax consulting services to health professionals at firm D6D.
Public-private partnerships and industrial projects
- Representing a syndicate bidding for the financing of a $1.3 billion PPP hospital in Montreal.
- Acting for a consortium on the financing of a C$725 million and 272 MW wind farm (Quebec).
- Counsel to a consortium operating a C$500 million all-automated toll highway PPP in Montreal’s metropolitan area.
- Representing a British Columbia corporation developing biomass to RNG plants.
- Acting for the agent in connection with a US$350 million syndicated multicurrency senior facility, in the context of a debt pushdown restructuring.
- Counsel to the agent and the lenders in the context of the C$175 million acquisition, by the world's leading IT hosting provider, of all outstanding shares in the capital of a UK competitor.
- Representing the largest helicopter transportation services provider in Canada, in the financing of its NZ$154 million acquisition assets in New Zealand.
- Acting for the largest printing group in Canada and Mexico in connection with a C$100 million financing for a corporate acquisitions.
Insolvency and restructuring
- Counsel to one of the largest publicly traded pulp and paper manufacturer in the world, in connection with a cross-border restructuring under Canadian and US laws.
- Representing the second largest private television network in Quebec, in connection with its restructuring under Canadian federal law.
- Blog articles: seekingalpha.com (investment community), slaw.ca (legal matters), wobiz.org
- Industrial Projects: Three Milestones on the Road to Bankability, Association of Corporate Counsel | June 2017
- La transposition de la loi type dans l'ordre juridique canadien, Service de la Formation Continue du Barreau du Québec, Volume 321 | 2010
- Reorganization: a commercial concept juridicially defined, Canadian Bar Review | November 2009
- Vente, donation et hypothèque d’actions, Juriclasseur, LexisNexis | Updated annually since 2009
- Les mutations de l'obligation, Juriclasseur, LexisNexis | Updated annually since 2008
- De l'évaluation des dommages suivant la résiliation des contrats de service et les contraventions à la Loi sur la concurrence, co-authored with Honorable Madam Justice Suzanne Côté, of the Supreme Court of Canada, Service de la formation continue du Barreau du Québec, Volume 255 | 2006