Having founded and managed a company in a previous life, I have a detailed understanding of entrepreneurs’ aspirations and preoccupations.
I enjoy learning about the inner workings of a business and the industry in which it evolves, so that I can bring a real added value to a case.
Lawyer entrepreneur at Delegatus since
- LL.B., Law, Université de Montréal | 2009)
- B.A. in political science and international development, First Class Joint Honours, McGill University | 2006
Laurent Godbout practises civil and commercial litigation law. He represents his clients in all aspects of litigation, including the provision of advice, the prevention and settlement of disputes, and the representation before all of Quebec’s various tribunals.
Mr. Godbout counsels and represents a varied clientele made up of manufacturers, financial institutions, companies of all sizes and business people.
Since he joined Delegatus, Laurent has acted as litigation manager for a Canadian leader in media solutions and marketing, as well as support to a world-renowned company in the air transportation industry.
Experience in private practice
Before joining Delegatus, Laurent practised law within the Dentons litigation group, formerly known as Fraser Milner Casgrain. At the beginning of his career, he was a student and intern at Fasken Martineau.
- Representation of Hydro-Québec within a case to obtain the necessary injunctions to realize a project valued at over 1.3 billion dollars.
- Representation of Investissement Québec within an case for expectation damages for an amount of 36 million dollars of banking responsibility.
- Representation of Mercedes-Benz Canada within a class action involving allegations of premature deterioration of certain motors.
- Representation of Chrysler Canada in the company’s various liability sectors.
- Representation of Aéroports de Montréal in a 30-million-dollar arbitration between Groupe Axor inc. and Société en commandite Adamax immobilier for the construction of a new international departures lounge at the Montreal Pierre-Elliott-Trudeau Airport.
- Representation of a mining company in a 22-million-dollar arbitration following the construction of an iron ore processing plant.
- Legal advice for the minority shareholders in disputes and remedies for abuses.
- Volunteer, Salon Visez Droit organized by the Montreal Bar Association.
- Member of the pro bono legal services committee, Association du Jeune Barreau de Montréal.
- Cofounder of a Montreal business specialized in the maintenance sector. The business is still active and flourishing | From 2003 to 2009