“As a business lawyer, I’m always in solution mode. I’m known for my practical approach, good judgment and listening skills. I strive to provide high-quality, efficient service.
I love music, the arts, travel and discovering new restaurants!”
- Canadian Securities Course (CSC), Canadian Securities Institute | 2000
- Quebec Bar | 1999
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Université de Montréal | 1998
Mélanie Meunier is a lawyer and manager with 20 years of business law experience. She has extensive experience as a private practitioner as well as within national and international companies. She is an advisor to senior management and supports individual managers in their decision making.
Mélanie was the assistant corporate secretary of two publicly traded companies and masters all aspects of holding board and committee meetings, the applicable legislation and best practices in corporate governance. She was also responsible for preparing the continuous disclosure documents of those two companies and participated in the organization of their annual shareholder meetings. She also oversaw the updating of the corporate records of the companies where she worked and their subsidiaries, drafted various corporate policies and managed their trademark portfolios.
Mélanie also has significant commercial contract experience, having drafted and negotiated a variety of agreements, including software licensing and maintenance, goods and services supply, partnership and consulting agreements.
Mélanie has 16 years of in-house experience. She worked at SNC-Lavalin, where she was Director, Legal and Assistant Corporate Secretary, and before that, at the Montreal Exchange (TMX Group), where she held the position of Legal Counsel and Assistant Corporate Secretary.
Experience in private practice
Mélanie started her career as a lawyer with Tessier & Associés in corporate and commercial law and wealth management.
- Participated in the implementation of the new SNC-Lavalin compliance framework, including the complete revision of the governance framework applicable to the board of directors and its committees, the revision of the Code of Ethics applicable to employees, officers and directors, and the implementation of new policies and procedures applicable to the entire group.
- Revised the format and content of the SNC-Lavalin management proxy circular in full.
- Played a leading role in the acquisition of the Montreal Exchange by TSX Group Inc., including the review of the agreements and documentation relating to the acquisition and the drafting of the circular and related documents for the special general meeting of shareholders.
- Played a leading role in the public listing of the shares of the Montreal Exchange, including the drafting of two prospectuses (preliminary and final), the transfer of the role of “transfer agent” to an external supplier, and the implementation of a new employee share ownership and stock option plans.
- Participated in the launch of the Montreal Climate Exchange, including the drafting and negotiation of various commercial agreements related to the implementation of this new market and the coordination, with the various internal teams, of the drafting of new rules for the trading of new environmental derivatives.
- Participated in the creation and launch of an accredited financial services firm in the group savings plan brokerage and financial planning sectors.
Professional affiliations and community involvement
- Mélanie has been a member of the Corporate Finance Advisory Committee of the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) since 2018.