I like travelling as a means to discover new cultures through art and food. I am also a new mom who loves to entertain and gather people around a great meal.
My clients appreciate my business-oriented legal expertise and my intuitive comprehension of complex issues. They also value the way I rapidly integrate myself into executive and operational teams during mandates.
Lawyer entrepreneur at Delegatus since
LL. B., Law, Université de Montréal | 1996
Anik Fontaine has a diversified practice in commercial law and deep and varied knowledge of the diverse commercial and legal aspects which businesses face. She counsels clients from a number of industries. She is particularly interested in the technology sector and is experienced in the drafting and revision of technology licensing and intellectual property agreements—patents, copyrights and trademarks.
Anik takes part in the negotiation, drafting and revision of all kinds of commercial agreements, with suppliers or clients, including agreements for strategic alliances, distribution, procurement, sales, services, manufacturing, letters of understanding and leases.
Since joining Delegatus, Anik has led many long-term mandates within several companies including:
- Alimentation Couche-Tard
- Yellow Pages
- Société des célébrations du 375e anniversaire de Montréal
- Bombardier Aerospace
Prior to joining Delegatus, she was General Counsel at Sipro Lab Telecom Inc. and at VoiceAge Corporation. She was legal counsel at Quebecor Media, and director of legal affairs and member of the executive committee for two of its subsidiairies, Nurun and Mindready Solutions. She was also legal counsel for Microcell i5 Inc. and articled at Domtar at the beginning of her career.
Experience in private practice
Before beginning her in-house practice, Anik practised at Gowlings in mergers and acquisitions, securities and venture capital financing.
- Responsible for the negotiation, drafting and revision of IT supply agreements at Bombardier Aerospace, commercial aircraft division, working closely with the IT procurement team.
- Review of calls for tenders and requests for proposals from government and para-public agencies and private companies for technology services, revision and legal counsel regarding proposals following these calls for tenders and RFQs, negotiation of service agreements and complex licences for two of the world’s largest software editors and for one of the largest computer equipment companies.
- Legal audit and creation of a legal department for a public company in the audio technology industry. Creation of a legal and contractual documentation database. Drafting and negotiation of patented technology license agreements, manufacturing, marketing and distribution agreements.
- Drafting and revision of commercial agreements for a pharmaceutical company, such as service agreements in research, manufacturing, marketing, licensing as well as consulting, confidentiality, technology provider and lease agreements.
- Drafting and revision of commercial agreements and advice regarding regulatory, intellectual property, advertising, advertising contests and privacy aspects for Yellow Pages, a leader in media and marketing solutions.
- Management and supervision of all legal aspects of the public mining company Gastem and corporate secretary for the company.
- Member of Les Mécènes investis pour les arts, a group which seeks to encourage young business professionals to become cultural philanthropists who financially support Montreal’s creativity as a means to promote its development and influence | 2016 to present day.
- Various commitments within the Fondation Marie-Ève-Saulnier, which offers financial and psychological support to the families of children who have cancer, Fourchettes et Tendresse Benefit Event | 2012 to present day.
- Member of the board of directors and secretary of the Corporation du Théâtre Outremont | 2011-2016
Awards and distinctions
Recipient of the MS Leadership award, offered to young business people for their commitment to philanthropy, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada | 2010
Conferences and publications
Interviews for various media regarding the innovative legal services offered by Delegatus:
- Leading Corporate Counsel magazine, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association
- In House Counsel magazine, Lawyers’ Weekly
- Canadian Lawyer magazine
- La Presse
- Le Monde juridique magazine
- Other media