- Certification in Corporate Governance, College of Corporate Directors | 2022
- MBA, Laval University | 2014
- Diploma in Risk Management, Laval University | 2011
- Master's degree in business law, Laval University | 2005
- LL.B., Laval University | 2000
Lawyer and MBA holder, Karine Toupin has more than 20 years of experience in the legal world. Passionate about governance and compliance, she has a very versatile practice in a wide variety of areas, such as corporate and commercial law, confidentiality, privacy and intellectual property issues (including copyright), contract law, access to information, financial services law, health law and education law.
With her certification in corporate governance and her sharp business acumen, she supports her clients in the implementation of their governance and legal processes. Karine also acts as corporate secretary or general secretary for numerous organizations, and sits on boards of directors, including that of Desjardins Financial Security Inc., which is ranked 5th among life insurers in Canada.
Over the course of her career, Karine has been involved in the development of compliance programs within highly regulated industries and has provided training on several occasions regarding the compliance with professional ethical obligations.
Prior to joining Delegatus, Karine worked as a lawyer in large organizations, both in legal departments and as a sole practitioner. She advised both senior management and the managers of the various business lines.
As corporate secretary, Karine was responsible for planning, coordinating and following up on board meetings, as well as coaching board chairs, board committee chairs and senior managers in their respective roles. As secretary general of a public organization, she also participated in the regional table of general secretaries for the Eastern Quebec school service centers.
As a manager and administrator, Karine participated in the development of several strategic plans. She was involved in the implementation of an integrated risk management framework and actively participated in the merger process of financial services cooperatives. She was also responsible for the complaint handling process in the financial services industry as well as in the education sector. She eventually held the roles of Access to Information and Privacy Officer, Information Security Officer and Disclosure of Wrongdoing Officer for public bodies.
- Overhaul of governance in the education sector following the coming into force of the Act to amend mainly the Education Act with regard to school organization and governance (2020, chapter 1).
- Participation in the process of creating the Autorité des marchés financiers.
- Handling of complex cases in terms of conflict of interest management.
Professional affiliations and community involvement
In addition to being a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) since 2022, Karine currently sits on multiple boards and committees, named below:
- President, Secretary and Member, Board of Directors of Caisse Desjardins de Cap-Rouge–Saint-Augustin | Occupying different roles since 2016
- Chair, Governance and Ethics Committee, Caisse Desjardins de Cap-Rouge–Saint Augustin | Since 2021
- President, Nominating Committee, Caisse Desjardins de Cap-Rouge–Saint-Augustin | Since 2021
- Member, Audit Committee, Caisse Desjardins de Cap-Rouge–Saint-Augustin | 2016-2018
- Member, Board of Directors of Desjardins Financial Security Inc. | Since 2019
- Member, Governance and Ethics Committee, Desjardins Financial Security Inc. | Since 2019
- Member, Board of Directors of the Regroupement des gens d'affaires de Saint-Augustin | 2013-2016