I am driven by the desire to find practical solutions. In my quest, I get off the beaten path, create new ideas, new avenues. It’s my leitmotif.
My creativity is also focused on gastronomy and photography. I unwind in the outdoors: mountains, forests and the water are my playground.
Lawyer entrepreneur at Delegatus since
- Course on securities trading, Canadian Securities Institute | 2003
- LL. B., Dean’s list, Law, Université de Montréal | 2002
Ms. Sophie Barry has nearly 15 years of experience in civil and commercial litigation. Her legal practice extends to all aspects of litigation, including alternative dispute resolution methods. Ms. Barry is regularly called upon to provide legal opinions and strategic advice regarding the prevention of disputes and the management of litigious situations and cases.
More specifically in construction law, Sophie is mainly involved, both with plaintiffs and defendants, in litigation regarding different types of claims, contract issues and defects. She is also called upon mid-project to advise and guide contractors, owners and consultants to prevent litigious situations or settle them promptly on the work site.
Sophie also worked in major and complex files, which have allowed her to develop precious skills in document management and review.
At Delegatus, Sophie manages litigation for a sizeable pan-Canadian business.
Experience in private practice
Before joining Delegatus, Sophie worked within the Norton Rose Fulbright Canada litigation group. She began her career at Desjardins Ducharme as a student, intern and litigation lawyer.
- Represented Bombardier in disputes regarding issues that arose in within the construction of airplanes.
- Represented Hydro-Québec for litigation regarding Churchill Falls, by preparing and revising long and complex appraisals of the financial and economic aspects of the hydroelectric sector.
- Represented the Société d’énergie de la Baie-James in a dispute regarding cost overruns in the execution of major construction work.
- Represented a large energy company in a long-term commercial arbitration regarding a company’s valuation.
- Acted as KPMG defense counsel in the Norbourg class action suit.
- Represented the Attorney General of Canada in the Commission of Inquiry into the sponsorship program and advertising activities.
- Represented major pipe and concrete product manufacturers for disputes following alleged manufacturing defects.
- Volunteers in the education sector.
- Sits on various committees of the education sector.
Awards and distinctions
Named in the commercial litigation category, The Best Lawyers™ in Canada | 2019 and 2020
Conferences and publications
Speaker, “L’expert et le rapport d’expert sous le nouveau Code de procédure civile : théorie, pratique et réflexions” | 2018