Practicing law is my way of accompanying you as you take on the projects that drive you.
As a lover of the outdoors and adventure sports, I have always been motivated by challenges. I leverage my exceptional analytical and listening skills to provide you with the best services possible.
- LL. B., with honours, Law, McGill University | 2005
- B.C.L., with honours, McGill University | 2005
Ms. Claivaz-Loranger has a diversified commercial law practice. She is recognized for her analytical skills, the quality of her customer service, and her ability to understand her clients’ business reality. The diversity of her clients—ranging from not-for-profits and start-ups to large companies and multinationals—reflects her remarkable versatility.
Stéphanie drafts and negotiates diverse commercial contracts for her clients, such as service, partnership, procurement and non-disclosure agreements. She also provides governance advice to not-for-profit organizations.
At Delegatus, Stéphanie spent a year as legal counsel in the procurement department of a multinational food company. Beforehand, she served as a lawyer for various organizations fighting against HIV in Canada and abroad, including the HIV Legal Network in Toronto and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Geneva.
Private practice experience
Before choosing to focus on in-house practice, Stéphanie worked at Stikeman Elliott, in mergers and acquisitions, as well as in environmental law.
- Acted as legal counsel for BIXI Montréal regarding its public bike system operation in the greater Montreal area.
- Acted as legal counsel in the procurement department of a multinational food company.
- Provided strategic advice on governance and by-laws related issues to non-profit organizations, including educational institutions and international organizations.
- Reviewed more than one hundred confidentiality agreements related to the investment field in several jurisdictions.
- Reviewed and negotiated financing agreements for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, in the context of its 10th round of international funding.
- Governance Advisor for Realize, a pan-Canadian organization fostering positive changes for people living with HIV | Since 2020
- Co-chair of the board, Realize | 2016-2020
- Founding chair of the governance committee, Realize | 2016-2020
- Board member, Realize | 2012-2020
- Global co-development of first known government strategy on human rights and HIV/AIDS | 2012-2013
- Intervened before the Court of Appeal in a pivotal case concerning the criminalization of HIV in Quebec and participated in a subsequent intervention before the Supreme Court of Canada | 2008-2012
- Participated in the defence of the authors of the book Noir Canada : Pillage, corruption et criminalité en Afrique, in a defamation lawsuit | 2008-2012
Awards and distinctions
- Winner of the Lawyer of the Year Award, for her commitment to social justice, Jeune Barreau de Montréal | 2012
- J.W. McConnell Excellence Scholarship, McGill University