- LL.M., Master of Laws with research topic "Carbon pricing and the competitiveness of national industries", McGill University | 2015-2016
- Intensive course in international criminal law, University of Leiden | 2014
- Juris Doctor, Cum Laude, University of Ottawa | 2013-2014
- LL.B., Université de Montréal | 2010-2013
Yifang Zhao is a lawyer with over 5 years of experience in commercial law. Passionate about environmental issues, she has a keen interest in the energy and clean technologies, infrastructure and waste management industries.
Yifang has a diversified commercial law practice, having drafted, reviewed and negotiated multiple types of contracts, including professional services agreements, equipment purchases, procurement, construction, financing and non-disclosure agreements (NDAs). She also advises clients on various matters relating to privacy and protection of personal information, including drafting and reviewing confidentiality policies.
Yifang's diverse background has enabled her to develop a wide range of skills and a methodical approach that is highly versatile. Having studied and worked all over the world, notably in China, the Netherlands, Morocco and Montreal, she adapts quickly and effectively to new environments. Her strong communication skills also make her a key player in any team.
Led by her keen interest in environmental issues, Yifang previously occupied the position of legal counsel at Enerkem, a producer of clean biofuels, for almost 5 years. She was responsible for analyzing, drafting and negotiating various commercial contracts, and advised the company on regulatory compliance issues. She also worked alongside the engineering and project management departments on construction law issues and provided support for the company's litigation files.
Yifang was also an intern at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia at the United Nations in the Netherlands. Her international experiences enabled her to develop a sound knowledge of the theoretical foundations of human rights and international law. She also articled with the Superior Court of Quebec, drafting memorandums in civil, commercial, procedural, criminal, administrative and family law.
Experience in private practice
Yifang completed an internship with Dentons in China, translating contracts from Mandarin into English, in addition to market research for materials processing cases.
Awards and distinctions
- Second place, Moot Court Competition, University of Leiden, Netherlands | 2014
- "Esprit du Laskin" team award, Moot Court Competition, Université de Montréal | 2013
- Editorial award, best written work in McMUN, McGill's Model United Nations Competition | 2013
Professional affiliations and community involvement
- Member, Law Student Investment Committee, McGill University | 2015-2016
- Associate Editor, McGill Journal of Sustainable Development Law | 2015-2016
- President and Co-Chief Delegate, Model United Nations Committee, Université de Montréal | 2012-2013