- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and Black Belt Training | 2016 and 2017
- Certification on the Drug and Medical Device Approval Process in Canada by the Regulatory Affairs Certification Board of the Regulatory Affairs Professional Society (RAPS) | 2008
- LL.L., Cum Laude, Law, University of Ottawa | 2001
With nearly 20 years of legal experience, Karine Emond focuses her practice on commercial and corporate law. She has vast experience thanks to her role as general counsel. Over the years, she has developed a particular expertise in the health industry, including drug manufacturing (innovative and generic), pharmacy networks and drug distribution, medical devices in medical imaging (class II and III) and natural health products. Having worked with this clientele in both private and corporate practice, Karine is well-qualified to implement risk management strategies with confidence and to recommend creative and pragmatic solutions.
As part of her practice, she drafts and negotiates commercial contracts for procurement, manufacturing, distribution, services and licensing, while always keeping in mind her clients' corporate objectives. She is also involved in the negotiation of various agreements such as responses to calls for tenders and quality assurance agreements. She is well versed in the mechanics of Health Canada, the requirements of the ISO 9001 standard and the internal and external due diligence that follows.
Karine is also interested in intellectual property issues and has managed several files involving trademarks and patents.
Prior to joining Delegatus, Karine was General Counsel at Christie Innomed Inc., a medical imaging company, where she was a member of the management team. She was also responsible for privacy, regulatory affairs and quality assurance, as well as for the communications and marketing department on an interim basis.
She previously worked at Pharmascience for four years as Senior Legal Counsel for both the innovator and generic divisions. Karine was the gatekeeper for the company's trademarks and promotional and educational materials for health care professionals. She then became a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Project Manager and contributed to the review and implementation of various processes, including laboratory processes, and was part of the solution to improve efficiency within the company, a personal goal of hers.
She has also worked as legal counsel at The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) and its subsidiary Pro Doc, Pfizer Canada, Saputo and Schering Canada.
Experience in private practice
An entrepreneur at heart, Karine founded her legal services firm in 2017. She provided services to a diverse clientele and conducted various mandates in commercial, hospital, clinical research, pharmaceutical, employment and real estate law. She started as a law student and articling student at BLG, where she discovered a particular interest in regulatory, commercial and pharmaceutical law.
- Acting as the lead lawyer for the acquisition of the Comp-Ray business in the United States by Christie Innomed Inc. in 2022, in the field of medical imaging.
- Acting as lead lawyer in the negotiation of major distribution and service agreements with world-renowned drug and medical device manufacturers located in various jurisdictions (including Spain, the United States, India, Israel, Italy, and Japan).
- Acting as lead lawyer for strategic initiatives to counter the expiration of the main patent on a blockbuster drug.
- Managing external intellectual property litigation files: PM(NOC) Reg. including the Valacyclovir litigation.
Professional affiliations and community involvement
Karine's focus is on well-being and personal growth. Since 2011, she has been teaching meditation courses of all kinds. She has organized and offered more than 325 meditation sessions, courses and special events, including over 100 pro bono. She offers meditation workshops to the legal community and businesses for "discovery" or "team building", to beginners and to those who wish to be coached to deepen their well-established practice. She knows many techniques that she feels an obligation to share with those who are drawn to this practice!