What I enjoy most about my practice is definitely my interactions with people. In construction law, I often have the privilege of discussing directly with people on the field and on construction sites.
Passionate about the simple things in life, I love to entertain my family and friends over a good meal. In my spare time, you can easily find me in an art gallery or on the ski slopes in the winter and the bike paths in the summer.
- LL. M., Université Laval | 1997
- LL.B., Université Laval | 1992
A seasoned litigator, Nancy Demers focuses her practice on challenging cases involving construction law and public contracts. She is known for her practical approach to problems. She goes beyond the limits of the legal profession by providing strategic guidance to her clients to help them resolve litigious situations.
She mainly advises institutional clients, contractors and suppliers. She is well versed in the Act Respecting Contracting by Public Bodies and assists her clients in the tendering process and in the context of large-scale projects, including public-private partnerships. Favouring alternative dispute resolution, she also represents her clients before the courts.
Through her expertise, she builds strategies and offers sound advice in the following areas:
- Construction bonds
- Construction contracts
- Public contracts
- Construction Litigation
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Construction regulations
Aware that the construction industry is constantly evolving, Nancy keeps abreast of the latest developments in the field. She enjoys sharing her knowledge with the legal and construction community through presentations, conferences and articles. She is also the author of a textbook on construction law.
Experience in private practice
Nancy has an extensive track record in private practice as a partner. She practised construction law for nearly 10 years at McCarthy Tétrault. In 2013, she joined Fasken's Québec City office.
- Represented a Crown corporation in a multi-million dollar claim for major construction defects
- Represented a contractor in a multi-million dollar claim in the civil engineering sector
- Represented and advised universities in the context of projects in progress
Award and distinctions
- Recognized in Construction Law in Quebec by Best Lawyers in Canada | Since 2018
- Recognized as Lawyer of the Year in Construction Law in Quebec by Best Lawyers in Canada | 2019 and 2023
- Recognized in Construction Law in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory | 2018 to 2023