Ladan Hannah Nassiry
I have a tad over 30 years of experience in business law. My practice style is to analyze facts and information objectively, ask a ton of questions (“why” is my favorite word!) since I believe until I am not in my clients’ shoes, I will not be able to solve the problem or close the deal in a most cost-effective way.
When I am not practicing law, I climb mountains around the world, chase eclipses or do astrophotography.
French, English, Persian
Areas of practice
- Certificate in Privacy & Cybersecurity, Osgoode Hall Law School | 2021
- Certificate in Regulatory Compliance & Legal Risk Management, Osgoode Hall Law School | 2018
- Certificate in Negotiation Mastery, Harvard Business School | 2018
- LL.B, McGill University | 2003
- B.C.L., Université de Montréal | 1990
Ms. Ladan Hannah Nassiry is a bilingual legal counsel with strong experience in business law, M&A, debt and equity financing, VC transaction, procurement and privacy-related matters. She is a member of the Law Society of Ontario and Barreau du Québec, and a past Member of the California Bar.
Ms. Nassiry practiced as senior counsel in two Montreal organizations, first with Royal Dutch Shell plc and then with Domtar Corporation. She then moved to Toronto, where she worked at Praxair and Aviva Canada as senior counsel, and then as a contract lawyer for Sun Life Financial, Economical Mutual Insurance Company and Intact Financial Corporation.
Prior to her in-house practice, Ladan Nassiry was an associate at two major firms. She first practiced at Bloomfield & Bloomfield in Montreal, then moved to California, more specifically to Silicon Valley, to work at Heller Ehrman White McAuliffe LLP in the Technology and Venture Capital Practice Group.
M&A And Financing
- Counsel to Aviva in its C$572M acquisition of RBC General Insurance Company from Royal Bank of Canada and long-term insurance distribution partnership with RBC.
- Counsel to Aviva in its C$100M divestment of DPMM Financial Services in Quebec and Ontario and in its $C50M secured loan to the purchaser.
- Counsel to Aviva in the completion of C$100M Intercreditor Agreement with BMO.
- Counsel to Aviva in the completion of numerous secured loans to brokers across Canada for C$100M in aggregate principal amount.
- Counsel to Praxair in its acquisitions of home healthcare and packaged gas businesses in Canada.
- Counsel to Royal Dutch Shell plc in its C$50M acquisition of a national home and industrial heating fuel distribution company.
- Counsel to Royal Dutch Shell plc in its C$150M divestment of residential, commercial and agricultural heating fuel business in Quebec and Ontario.
Debt And Equity Financing
- Draft, review and negotiate debt and equity financing transactions and related financing documentations.
- Draft, review and negotiate equipment finance documentations and supervise outside counsel in asset securitization.
- Advise business on procurement for both public (municipal, provincial and federal levels of government) and private-sector matters involving multiple stakeholders across a wide range of industry sectors.
- Counsel to Distribution and Procurement Departments: negotiate and draft trucking services, rail, marine and storage & logistics agreements.
- Negotiated many aviation fuel and lubricants (engine oils, hydraulic fluids, greases) supply agreements with aviation companies.
- Negotiated industrial gases and (heat treatment, Carbon dioxide spray cleaning) services for aviation industry.
- Strong procurement experience in natural resources procurement.
Regulatory and Compliance
- Implementation of Compliance and Sanctions programs.
- Counsel on privacy, data governance and cybersecurity matters and liaise with federal and provincial privacy commissioners.
- Develop compliance training and privacy training modules for in-house legal departments and compliance teams.
- Develop and implement corporate policies, codes of conduct, procurement procedures and documentation.
Insurance related work
- Draft and negotiate brokers agreements, affinity agreements and commercial alliance agreements with third party service providers.
- Draft and negotiate insurance distribution agreements.
- Advise on brokers or agents dispute resolutions.
Intellectual Property and Venture Capital
- Draft and negotiate agreements for VC financing of Biotech and IT start-up companies, commercialization of technology and IP licenses.
- Board member of the Association of Corporate Counsel, US Corporate and Securities Law Committee | 2017
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association – Business Law Section | 2017
- Member of the California Bar | 2000-2004
Contact Ladan Hannah Nassiry directly
Don’t hesitate to ask me any question.
They help me get to know you better and provide you with services that are tailored to your needs.
But first, I have a few questions for you.