I love advising my clients to help them avoid legal issues or finding solutions for them.
I stand out because of my approach focused on conflict resolution. I am a cellist who is passionate about culture and the arts.
Lawyer entrepreneur at Delegatus since
- LL. B., Law, Université de Montréal | 1996
- Certificate, Psychology and psycho education, Université de Montréal | 1993
Marie-Geneviève Masson has accumulated nearly 20 years of experience in civil and commercial litigation. She regularly represents clients before civil and administrative tribunals and before the Federal Courts.
Her practice focuses mainly on litigation cases between shareholders, on securities litigation cases (insider trading, tipping, market manipulation, broker liability, etc.) and on cases regarding director and officer liability.
She guides and advises her clients on investigations by various regulatory bodies such as the Autorité des marchés financiers and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC).
Marie-Geneviève also advises boards of directors and management teams regarding various regulations and requirements of corporate governance.
She acts as legal advisor to her clients to help them solve various commercial problems, such as a move, an acquisition, a termination or a hiring as well as problems related to corporate governance.
Marie-Geneviève began her in-house practice within the legal departments of a pharmaceutical company and a legal publishing house.
Experience in private practice
Before joining Delegatus, Marie-Geneviève practiced law for 15 years within the Litigation Group of Langlois lawyers.
- Successful outcome before the Supreme Court of Canada in a litigation case between shareholders: Menillo vs. Intramodal Inc., 2016CSC51.
- Successful outcome before Quebec Superior Court, for a 22-million-dollar civil liability case against an individual in virtue of general civil law and in virtue of Quebec’s securities law (Loi sur les valeurs mobilières du Québec [LVMQ]). This case dealt with LVMQ issues of interpretation that had never previously been decided upon.
- Successful outcome within judicial review files of the Commission of Inquiry into the Sponsorship Program (Gomery Commission).
- Administrator and secretary, Board of Directors, National Sector of the Canadian Music Competition
- Administrator, Board of Directors, Forestare Guitar Ensemble
Awards and distinctions
- Named in the “Future Star” category, which represents the future of the profession, Benchmark Litigation, Benchmark Canada | 2015 and 2016
Was identified by her colleagues and clients as a potential star for future editions of the guide.
+ Named in the commercial litigation category, The Best Lawyers™ in Canada | 2020
Conferences and publications
- “Successfully meeting corporate governance,” “Business Law Summit,” Ontario Bar Association | 2015
- “Les 10 ans de la décision Peoples, quel impact sur la responsabilité des administrateurs?” annual seminar in business law, Université de Montréal and Université Laval | 2014
- “La criminalité économique,” session on corporate governance, Copresident with Professor Raymonde Crête, Centre d’études en droit économique (CÉDÉ), l’Université Laval | 2014
- “Commission Charbonneau: leçons de gouvernance pour tous,” Economic Law News bulletin l’Université Laval | May 2014 — Co-author: the late Raynold Langlois, c.r., Ad. E., CRIA, FACTL
- “La commission Charbonneau: leçons de gouvernance pour tous”, www.langlois.ca | 2013
- Occasionally invited as a guest speaker in the context of various courses on legal skills, on the drafting of legal opinions and thesis and on techniques for pleading, Université de Montréal | 2010 to present day.