My approach exemplifies flexibility, listening and an open, inclusive management style, emphasizing multidisciplinary teamwork that fosters planning, identifying priorities, implementing strategic plans and risk management.
In addition to my passion for the practice of law, I enjoy travelling and discovering new places, new flavours and a life full of wonderful things. In the summer, you can find me on the water, spending precious moments with my family on a sailboat drifting among the Thousand Islands.
- Master of Public Administration (MPA) – International studies, University of Public Administration (ENAP) | 2019-2021 (in progress)
- Common Law program, McGill University | 1993
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Concordia University (John Molson School of Commerce) | 1986
- Quebec Bar | 1981
- Called to the Quebec Bar, Bachelor of Laws, Université de Montréal |1980
Mtre Sabine Altier has significant in-house counsel experience. She favours an analytical approach structured within a strategic vision, so as to identify the issues and assess the risks. She also has experience in the deployment of products and services in strategic collaboration with management.
In 1987, Sabine joined Montreal Trust (Scotiabank Group) where she specialized in corporate and commercial law, trusts, pension plans, institutional portfolios, asset custody, registrar of securities, real estate, financing and acquisitions. In 2000, she became senior legal counsel and head of legal affairs for the Province of Quebec for the Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank), a position she held for 16 years.
Sabine has since focused her practice on commercial law by outsourcing her services to companies, which led her to work on Canada-US international trade matters from 2016 to 2018, as well as M&A and major engineering projects, among others. Sabine fulfilled an in-house support mandate (outsourcing) with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) from 2018 to 2020, where she worked on the establishment and launch of various technological platforms related to aviation safety, CORSIA carbon emissions offsetting, MRO secondary market and other services dedicated to the airline industry, various dashboards and financial services relating to the payments and settlement industry, with an emphasis on data processing, intellectual property and regulatory aspects.
Experience in private practice
Before joining Delegatus, Sabine was in private practice for two years during which she worked on in-house and traditional mandates in the fields of corporate and commercial, engineering and Canada-US international trade law.
Sabine began her legal career at Byers Casgrain (now Dentons).
- Implementing technological service contracts and partnership agreements, as well as contractual and commercial documentation within the framework of platforms and services dedicated to the airline industry, including payment and settlement services, aviation security, unit clearing of CORSIA carbon, the air postal system, the MRO secondary market, various applications and tools such as early warning and dashboards, cooperation agreements with ICAO and other international organizations | 2018-2020
- Canada–United-States tariffs and antidumping disputes for a large Canadian producer | 2016-2018
- Major engineering projects in Canada and the United-States for a large Canadian company | 2016-2018
- Drafting commercial banking and leasing contracts for a foreign financial company entering the Canadian market | 2019
- Sales, mergers and acquisitions of companies and assets, operations integration and due diligence for a large Canadian company | 2016-2018
- Member of the Career 4.0 Committee and lead of the Career Thinking 4.0 program, Association of Quebec Women in Finance (AFFQ) | 2018-present
- Chair of the Board of Directors, LRH Foundation (Gingras-Lindsay Rehabilitation Institute) | 2009-present
- Member of the Board of Directors of Constantinople musical ensemble | 2008-present
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA) – Chair, Banking and financial institutions Section | 2012-2015
- Les Grands Ballets Canadiens Gala Committee member | 2015
- Minutes of Creation Committee member | 2012-2014
- Les Grands Ballets Canadiens Ambassador's Circle | 2010-2011
- Co-chair of the Scotiabank Centraide Campaign | 2007
- Chair of Leadership Campaign for Centraide Scotiabank | 2005-2006
- Member of various committees, fundraising campaigns and volunteer: Centre des musiciens du monde, Jewish General Hospital neonatal unit, YWCA, Multiple Sclerosis Society, Selwyn House School Parent Association, National Ballet School (Toronto), The Nutcracker Market, National Centre for Dance Therapy of Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, Lakeshore Soccer Association, National School of Contemporary Ballet (Montreal), Ballet Ouest