- LL. L., Law, University of Ottawa | 1990
- Master’s degree, Legal History, Université Panthéon-Assas — Paris2 | 1991
Ms. Stéphanie Beauregard is an active member of the commercial real estate sector, with a focus on property leasing covering a wide array of facilities, such as:
- Office buildings
- Shopping centres
- Industrial properties—Technology and logistics, air cargo and rail freight installations
- Telecommunication or data centre facilities
- Multi-use developments
- Commercial condos
During her career, she has concluded over 1,000 leasing transactions and has taken part in dozens of sales, acquisitions and sale-leaseback agreements throughout Canada.
As an external legal advisor and in-house counsel, Stéphanie collaborates closely with the real estate management and asset management teams who are industry leaders, including pension funds, REITS and financial institutions, and private developers and real estate managers.
She assists companies in performing their due diligence, including:
- Letters of intent
- Purchase offers
- Offers to lease, offers to sublease, lease assignments, change of control
- Lease agreement analysis, lease abstracts
- Lease registration
- Preparation and review of estoppel certificates
- Management contracts
She also helps clients in the resolution of landlord-tenant relations and the resolution of disputes:
- Interpretation and application of contractual agreements
- Management of lease portfolios
- Additional rent adjustment
- Harmonization of exclusivity rights and permitted uses
- Exercise of renewal or termination options
- Exercise of expansion rights and rights of first refusal
Since joining Delegatus, Stéphanie has acted as in-house outside counsel for various industry leaders, including real estate managers and financial institutions.
Experience in private practice
Before joining Delegatus, Stéphanie was an associate, then a partner at Fasken Martineau, between 2003 and 2010. She began her career in litigation at Clark & Partners, and at Lafleur Brown, now Gowlings.
Professional affiliations and community involvement
- She has developed a vast network of collaborators in Quebec and elsewhere in Canada, including major market stakeholders, owners and space users, as well as professional real estate brokers specialized in large-scale commercial transactions, architects, engineers, notaries, appraisers, etc.
- She is a member of the Urban Development Institute of Quebec (UDI).
Awards and distinctions
- Recognized in the Commercial Leasing Law category by The Best Lawyers™ in Canada Directory | Since 2015
- Designated as one of the key players in the field of commercial real estate (Incontournable de l’immobilier commercial), by Premières en affaires | 2015
Conferences and publications
Stéphanie has been sought-after as a speaker in the field of commercial real estate for more than 10 years. For example:
- Co-Chair of the 2020 Montreal Real Estate Strategy & Leasing Conference, Informa Canada, and co-animator or panelist during the same series of annual conferences (2008 to present date)
- Responsible for the legal portion of a training session for the Quebec CPA Order: Bail immobilier commercial – Incidences financières, opérationnelles et juridiques (with Martin Santerre, CPA). Brossard, Laval, Québec City | 2019-2020
- Panelist at the Journées stratégiques sur les baux commerciaux: Negotiating specialty leases, Open Forum Ouvert, Montreal, Quebec | 2018
- Panelist at the ICSC Canadian Law Conference, You’ve Got Questions; We’ve Got the Answers! Toronto | 2016
- Panelist at the Toronto RealLeasing Conference, Creating the perfect lease and closing the transaction: what are the key potential issues and how can they be resolved? Toronto, Ontario | 2013
- Speaker at various conferences organized by Les Éditions Yvon Blais, Montreal, Quebec City, Laval | 2010, 2011, 2015
- Roundtable co-chair at the ICSC Canadian Law Conference, Two points of view - Common Law vs Civil Law: Changes to the common areas - Balancing the landlord’s need for flexibility and the tenant’s expectation of status quo (in collaboration with James D. Piers, Fasken Martineau), Toronto | 2007
She also publishedseveral articles, including the following:
- Un nouveau regard s'impose : revampez vos baux commerciaux pour refléter la jurisprudence récente, Stéphanie Beauregard, Le bail commercial - Deuxième colloque, Collection Blais 2015, volume 23.
- L'offre de location à la lumière de la jurisprudence récente : clauses essentielles et écueils à éviter, Stéphanie Beauregard, Le bail commercial - Collection Blais 2011, volume 9.
- Les baux commerciaux : comment maximiser leur impact positif sur la valeur marchande d'un immeuble?, Stéphanie Beauregard et Andréanne Lavallée, Droit immobilier - Collection Blais 2010, volume 5.
Stéphanie has also published over 25 articles on the Edilex law blog, for which she established and coordinated the real estate law section for many years.