Having worked in highly creative fields for over 25 years, I’m motivated to find creative solutions to problems, all the while recognizing the need to act in a reasonable and efficient manner.
Finalizing an agreement or closing a difficult transaction to the client’s satisfaction is my driving force.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), Université de Montréal | 2012
- Juris Doctor (J.D.), Université de Montréal | 2010
- Called to the Quebec Bar, Quebec Bar School | 1993
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Université de Montréal | 1992
- Bachelor of Arts, Honours Program in Economics (B.A.), McGill University | 1989
Mtre Mark Sorella is an experienced legal advisor. Over the course of his career, in particular as director of legal affairs of Groupe V Media and of Transfilm, he has developed a solid expertise in corporate and commercial law, information technology and employment law. He has extensive knowledge of entertainment and media fields, CRTC regulatory matters, as well as copyright and intellectual property law.
Mark was responsible for finalizing all contracts for each department of the organization (programming, human resources, finance, sales and general operations). He also acted as the organization’s primary representative with all governmental agencies and was responsible for securing the requisite approvals and insuring compliance with governmental regulations. He is well versed in negotiation, monitoring and fostering strategic agreements and managing files referred to external counsel.
Before joining Delegatus, Mark worked for Groupe V Media as director of legal affairs and was responsible for all contracts related to the various departments of the organization. As chair of the regulatory compliance committee, he was also responsible for ensuring that the organization complied with all of its regulatory obligations.
Previously, he held the position of director of business and legal affairs at Transfilm, a prominent feature film and television production company, where he was responsible for all of the organization’s contracts, including finance, intellectual property, distribution and licencing agreements, joint-venture agreements, as well as employment contracts with all talent.
Experience in private practice
After completing his studies, Mark worked as a lawyer at Blanshay Smiley (formerly Smiley & Associates) before starting his in-house practice.
- Responsible for all finance, IP, distribution and operations agreements as well as employment contracts.
- Complete reorganization of the legal department, including the development and implementation of new uniform policies and procedures for the entire organization.
- Negotiation and closing of the acquisition of specialty channels MusiquePlus and Musimax, including the financing of the acquisition by institutional investors.
- Development and implementation of uniform procedures and policies applicable to the three television channels following the acquisition.
- Responsible for shareholder relations with institutional investors, including corporate governance.
- Responsible for all trademarks related to the new branding for both the “V” channel and the “MAX” channel.
- Created the Remstar fund and determined its mandate, governance, criteria and procedures.
- Administered the closing of an employee pension plan.
- Negotiation and renewal of several collective agreements.
- Responsible for launching the websites www.noovo.ca and www.boutiquenoovo.ca, including the drafting of policies and procedures.
- Negotiated and completed the financing, production and delivery of more than 15 projects for Transfilm, with budgets ranging from $7M to $60M each.