- MBA for executives and managers (EMBA), McGill University and HEC Montréal | 2017
- Lean Six Sigma Certification, Green Belt Level, McGill University and HEC Montréal | 2016
- Management Coaching, Organization psychology, SPB Consulting Firm | 2014
- Finance and Legal Solution-Orientation Workshops, International Institute of Management Development (IMD), Lausanne | 2013
- École du Barreau du Québec, Ottawa Centre | 1994
- Graduate Studies in Legislative Drafting, University of Ottawa | 1994
- Bachelor in Civil Law with great distinction, LL. L, University of Ottawa | 1993
Julie Normand is a lawyer and executive with extensive legal knowledge across America and strong management skills. With over 27 years of legal and human resources management experience in the legal services industry, she has practiced in a wide variety of environments, including a national law firm, a multinational corporation, a non-profit organization and a SME.
Julie synthesizes and analyzes complex information and data to quickly identify and prioritize issues, propose solutions, and implement them. Holder of an MBA and Six Sigma certification, she transforms organizations and processes to increase efficiency and improve productivity. She skillfully balances business objectives with the legal framework to help her clients manage risk by optimizing their legal services and budgets.
Her experience makes her a team player with inspiring leadership and sharp business acumen. She stands out for her in-depth knowledge of the legal services industry, her results-oriented collaborative approach, her ability to foster consensus, her strategic vision and her commitment to maintaining rigorous standards.
Experience in private practice
Early in her career, Julie practiced as a litigation lawyer for 7 years with Borden, Ladner, Gervais LLP, a national law firm. As a civil and commercial litigator, she managed a large volume of files, mainly in the areas of real estate, banking, mortgage remedies, civil liability and debt recovery.
After practicing in a big law firm, Julie spent 13 years as Legal Director of a multinational corporation in the manufacturing and distribution of consumer goods. She provided legal and tactical advice on a wide range of issues to all organizational units, operating in some 15 jurisdictions throughout America, to ensure compliance and mitigate risk. She negotiated over a hundred commercial agreements with customers and suppliers in various fields of activity. She has actively contributed to the creation and enhancement of the legal function in several jurisdictions.
Julie then worked in the philanthropic field for 3 years, including as Executive Director of an international non-profit organization that contributes to increasing women’s financial empowerment. After completing the McGill-HEC Montreal Executive MBA in 2017, she oriented her career in administration, leveraging her legal experience and management skills. As a result, she held for 4 years the position of Chief Operating and Compliance Officer at Delegatus, a New Law leader in Quebec. In this capacity, she has work to transform the business by digitizing, automating, and optimizing operations to support the growth of Delegatus.
- Developed and implemented dozens of processes, procedures and policies to standardize and optimize the operations of a fast-growing New Law firm.
- Developed and implemented the IT Master Plan for a New Law firm which improved the security of the IT environment, deployed various cloud-based applications and digitized 100% of the operations.
- Developed and implemented a change management strategy for professionals and administrative staff in a context of hyper growth.
- Started the Quebec branch of an international NPO that was awarded the 2015 Rookie of the Year award by Dress For Success Worldwide.
- Established a culture of collaboration between the legal department and other organizational units of a multinational with more than 25,000 employees, which resulted in the lawyers being viewed as business partners and value-creation agents within the company.
- Coordinated all legal aspects of the start-up of two company subsidiaries in Mexico and Brazil.
- Recruited, trained and supervised lawyers and legal staff in 3 countries (Canada, Mexico and Brazil), and managed the services of external law firms throughout America.
Professional affiliations and community involvement
- Member of the Canadian Association of Corporate Counsel – Quebec Chapter, Canadian Bar Association | Since 2019
- Member of the Executive MBA McGill-HEC Montreal Toastmasters Club | 2017-2019
- Boutique Manager, Stylist and Speaker, Dress for Success/L'Étoffe du succès Montreal | 2015-2019
Conferences and publications
Guest speaker for the Women’s Work Integration Program, Montréal Women’s Y | Since 2015