As a transactional lawyer, I believe that my client's satisfaction rests with my ability to listen and understand, synthesize and implement. Beyond work, I find that listening and understanding are critical to my happiness, and to the happiness of those around me.
Year admitted to the Bar
Barreau du Québec
New York Bar
French, English, Ukrainian, Russian
Lawyer entrepreneur at Delegatus since
- Bachelor of Laws, LL.B., Université de Montréal | 1996
- Bachelor’s in political science, B.A, cum laude, Concordia University | 1993
Peter is a transactional lawyer with over 24 years of practice in corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions and financing (debt and equity). His extensive professional experience has allowed him to develop solid business and entrepreneurial instincts. He understands that a client needs the right advice, at the speed of business and at a reasonable fee. He advises clients on cross-border acquisitions, structuring, and financing, as well as project development. His clients include family offices and organizations in the energy, fintech and commodities trading sectors. He also manages complex international arbitrations to ensure maximum return on legal budgets.
Peter has also cofounded several companies that he continues to advise.
Prior to joining Delegatus, Peter was Senior Counsel at Philip Morris Products Services SA from 2005 to 2007 covering Kazakhstan and Central Asia, and Counsel for Golden Temple Management Inc. from 2007 to 2019. Peter also co-founded several entities for which he acts or has acted as legal counsel including Peddler.com, Stateside Energy LLC, and New World Oil and Gas PLC.
Private practice experience
Peter began his career in private practice at LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP in New York and Almaty from 1997 to 2000. He was subsequently a senior associate at White & Case LLP from 2001 to 2005. Mandates covered matters in Quebec, New York, Europe, the UK, the Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine. Peter founded PSPM Global, active since 2012, where he practiced until 2020 before joining Delegatus. Since 2012, he has worked mainly on acquisitions, fund work, structuring, and finance projects, particularly for family offices.
- In connection with the restructuring of the investment holding structure of an industrial holdings group with significant assets in Kazakhstan, acted as lead counsel and coordinating attorney for counsels from applicable jurisdictions including Kazakhstan, Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, the Cayman Islands and Luxembourg.
- In connection with Tengizchevroil’s issuance of $1.1 billion Eurobonds, represented and assisted the issuer in drafting the offering memorandum, structuring the proposed issuance (including conducting a 10B-5 level due diligence on the issuer).
- In connection with Central Asia's leading bank's multiple credit facilities and extensions since 2001, represented the arrangers/book-runners, drafted and reviewed credit documentation, performed due diligence (including 10B-5 level due diligence) on the borrower and drafted legal opinions.
- In connection with advice provided to a major European energy company on the proposed acquisition of a coal and gas fired electricity and heat co-generation plant, together with certain heat and hot water transmission assets, located in Western Ukraine, negotiated and drafted terms of investment agreements with the Ministry of Energy of Ukraine.
- In connection with advice provided to American and Australian multinational mining companies in Kazakhstan, drafted, negotiated, reviewed and amended exploration and extraction licenses (for gold, copper, and other non-ferrous metals).
- Successfully managed (ie, helped deliver a positive decision and enforcement) of a $200 million LCIA arbitration related to a failed investment in a major GSM provider.
- In connection with the listing of a financial investment vehicle on the London AIM, provided advice on all aspects of the preparation for such listing as well as its reverse to an operating entity one year following listing.
- Successfully drafted multiple farm-in, farm-out and joint venture agreements for a number of international energy projects globally.
- Represented an EU fintech company on the creation of an EU JV-vehicle with a Ukrainian JV partner and drafted all related deal documentation.
- Restructured the shareholder structure of an EU holding company of IP assets, including extensive renegotiation of the underlying shareholders' agreement.
- Acted as GDPR officer (data security officer) and developed a GDPR policy for a Dutch fintech.
- Advised on 2 private placements (seed rounds) for an EU fintech preparing for a Series A, including drafting of all transactional and related corporate documents.
- Liquidated 2 private equity funds.
- Helped establish both an online and physical presence for a leading EU e-commerce platform in Canada and the US.
- Advised a number of clients interested in blockchain technology on potential ICOs in the US (incl. applicable SEC regulations), the EU and Gibraltar backed with equity tokens and rewards tokens.
- Advised the Ukrainian World Congress on its ongoing dispute with the general prosecutor of the Russian Federation.
- Together with Brazil counsel, advised a client on the enforcement of commercial and IP rights in Sao Paolo, Brazil.
- Advised oil and gas clients operating in West Africa and the Russian Federation on entering into AIPN model JOAs and Farmout Agreements.
- • Peter Sztyk et al, "International Product Liability Law (A Worldwide Desk Reference)", Chapter on Kazakhstan, Aspatore Books | 2003
- Peter Sztyk et al, "Review of the Proposed Republic of Kazakhstan Law "On Investments"", Investors' Voice | 2002
Community involvement (pro bono)
- Co-founder and non-Executive director of the NGO Ukraine-2050 | Since 2019
- Vice president of the Executive Committee of the Ukrainian World Congress, as well as member of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Human Rights Committee | 2013-2018
- Legal Counsel to the Executive Committee of the Ukrainian World Congress | 2008-2013
Awards and Recognition
- Global Chambers Recommended Lawyer | 2004 and 2005