I am driven by the law and invest all my energy in providing services to my clients, being involved in the legal community, sharpening my debating abilities, and trying to innovate when it comes to access to justice.
If there’s a little time left over, I like to make jokes.
Lawyer entrepreneur at Delegatus since
- Barreau du Québec, Training program in Civil, Commercial and Labour Mediation (40 hours) (2015)
- University of Sherbrooke, Civil and Commercial Arbitration Training Program (40 hours) (2015)
- LL. M., with honours, University of Montreal (2006)
- LL. B., list of excellence of Faculty of Law, University of Montreal (2005)
Marie-Hélène Beaudoin has extensive experience in civil and commercial litigation. Her practice covers all aspects of litigation, including strategic counselling and providing legal advice and services in dispute resolution and prevention.
Ms. Beaudoin appears regularly before the civil courts of Quebec, as well as certain administrative tribunals. She is also accredited to act as a mediator in civil and commercial law and trained as an arbitrator in the same field.
She worked as a legal counsel at Juste pour rire and as a contractual in-house counsel for the Coop fédérée.
Experience in private practice
Before joining Delegatus, Marie-Hélène practised in the litigation group of Woods (2009–2012) and McCarthy Tétrault (2012–2015), and then started her law firm (2015–2017).
She was a student and intern at Heenan Blaikie from 2005 to 2007.
- Obtained the annulment of the sale of a property for hidden defects, Deschênes v. Cohen.
- Participated in a class-action suit in environmental law regarding complex procedural questions related to lifting the corporate veil, abuse of process and quarrelsome conduct, Deraspe v. Zinc électrolytique du Canada et al.
- Appeal, litigation regarding the securities and directors’ liability, Pincourt (City of) v. Construction Cogerex ltée.
- Successful defense of a physician accused of defamation, Gestion Finance Tamalia v. Garrel.
- Refusal of authorization for a class-action suit in maritime law, Labonté v. Voyageur Marine Transport Ltd.
- Dismissal, at the interlocutory stage, of a 20-million-dollar suit regarding a manufacturer’s liability, Thibault v. Sherwin-Williams.
- Legal advice in dispute and recourse in cases of abuse for minority or majority shareholders.
- Disciplinary Council of the Barreau du Québec
- Committee on access to justice, Barreau du Québec
- Liaison committee with the Legal Information Access Center (CAIJ), Bar of Montreal
- Approval Committee, Pro Bono Québec
- Mentor in the Pierre-Basile-Mignault Advocacy Competition, supervising the McGill University team (2012–2017).
- Member, Board of directors, Young Bar of Montreal (YBM) | from 2012 to 2014
Awards and distinctions
- Winner of the YBM’s yearly Gala Leaders de demain, in the Civil and Commercial Litigation category (2016)
- 2nd Prize, English Oratory Competition, Young Bar of Montreal (2015)
- Grant for opening a new firm, Young Bar of Montreal (2015)
- Award of Excellence Scholarship (2005)
- Joseph-Blain Prize (initiation to legal research, 2004)
- Roméo and Geneviève Valiquette-Mondello Prize (academic excellence and perseverance in studies, 2004) at Université de Montréal.
Conferences and publications
- Contributed two chapters to the book titled Les objections à la preuve en droit civil published by LexisNexis.
- Responsible for updating the chapter entitled “Sources et domaine d’application des règles de preuve”, in the book pertaining to Proof and Prescription, published by LexisNexis.
- Speaker, “La pertinence de la pertinence,” Annual Conference of the Young Bar of Montreal, with Marie-Geneviève Masson (2018)
- Speaker and commentator on freedom of expression, “Political Correctness & Freedom of Speech,” Discussion Presented by the APIH, International Society for Humour Studies/Humour Observatory (2017)
- Speaker, “Le contrat de transaction: aspects pratiques,” Annual Conference of the Young Bar of Montreal (2016)
- “Lady Marmalade” opinion piece published in the Extrajudiciaire, the Young Bar of Montreal journal (2016)
- Speaker, “La quérulence devant les tribunaux administratifs,” Canadian Institute (2015)
- “Les recours collectifs en matière de concurrence au Québec,” with Madeleine Renaud, Revue Lamy de la concurrence (2014)
- “Changer la société par le droit ? Les vingt-cinq ans du droit constitutionnel à l’égalité entre les sexes au Canada,” with Jean-François Gaudreault-Desbiens, Revue du droit public et de la science politique en France et à l’étranger (2010)
- Teacher at Lafortune Formation, teaching classes pertaining mainly to the new Civil Code of Procedure.
- Publications on legal blogs, namely on the YBM’s Blogue du CRL.